Cyber Law cases
This section of the Website discusses briefly some important orders/judgements passed by Indian courts relating to cyberlaw .The cases elucidate various aspects of cyberlaw in India including copyright infringements,digital frauds, data thefts, online defamation and other cybercrimes . The cases also deal in complex matters dealing with determining jurisdiction in cyberspace, trademark infringements, breach of privacy, and cyberpornography.
- Shreya Singal v UOI- W.P167/2012
In a landmark case , The Supreme court struck down Section 66A of IT Act,2000 as unconstitutional on the ground that its terms were vague, and ambiguous and placed unreasonable restrictions on the Freedom of speech.
- Anvar P.V Vs P.K Basheer civil appeal 4226/2012
An important case on admissibility of electronic records.
- Vyakti Vikas Kendra,India Public vs Jitender Bagga-Order dated 09.05.2012 in I.A. No.8877/2012
The Delhi High court granted an exparte injunction in a civil defamation action involving posts on blogspot.
- Nirmaljit Singh Narula vs Indijobs At Hubpages.Com -Delhi High Court CS (OS) No.871/2012
Nirmal baba approached the Delhi High court in an online defamation case where exparte injunction was granted against a foreign website, hubpages.com. The case deals with jurisdiction issues,intermediary liability and blocking of defamatory content online.
- Aneeta Hada vs M/S Godfather Travels- Supreme court of India - CRIMINAL APPEAL NO. 1484 OF 2009
This case was a verdict on Bazee.com case wherein director of Bazee.com was accused of selling pornographic material through its website.The Supreme Court of India held that when a company has not been arraigned as an accused , the director of the company cannot be made vicariously liable and quashed the FIR registered under Section 67 & 85 of IT Act,2000.
- Janhat Manch v. Union of India Bombay High Court (PIL No. 155/2009)
Decision by High court of Bombay on a PIL filed on issue of blocking of objectionable and obscene content on Internet
- E2 Labs v. Zone-H -Delhi High Court- CS(OS) -2305/2009
This case concerns an exparte injunction issued against defendant website based abroad to block from access defamatory content published against the plaintiff.
- Super Cassettes v. Myspace Inc. Delhi High Court- CS (OS) No. 2682/2008
An important judgment on determining liability of an internet service provider and law on digital copyright infringement in India.
- Sanjay Kumar Kedia v. Narcotics Control Bureau - 2008 (2) SCC 294
This case dealt with allegations made by petitioner that defendant runs an illegal online pharmacy. The court deals with question of intermediary liability and exemptions available to them under IT Act,2000.
- State v. Navjot Sandhu- Case No. : Appeal (Crl.) 373-375 of 2004, Date of Judgement : 04/08/2005
This case deals with digital evidence , particularly ,Section 65 B of Indian Evidence Act. The Court held that even if an affidavit in terms of Section 65B has not been filed electronic evidence can be proved through other means such as secondary evidence.
- Dharambir v. Central Bureau of Investigation Delhi High Court 148 (2008) DLT 289
The case concerns admissibility of electronic evidence and law on interception of telecommunication in India.
- Diljeet Titus vs Alfred A. Adebare Delhi High Court 130(2006) DLT330, 2006(32) PTC609 (Del)
This case pertained to copyright and data theft from ex employers office and discusses breach of confidentiality in detail.
- Eastern Book Company v. DB Modak -Supreme Court of India Appeal (civil) 6472 of 2004
The Supreme court deals with a case involving copyright infringement of online legal library/databases
- Gramaphone Company v. Super Cassetes Industries -Delhi High Court 1999 PTC 252 (Del.)
The case deals with laws applicable to cover versions of an album and throws light on copyright infringement issues.
- Amar Singh v. Union of India Supreme Court of India
This case deals with illegal wiretapping, interception and online surveillance
- Shri Umashankar Sivasubramanian v. ICICI Bank
The case concerns illegal transfer of moneys from a customer account to another account and bankers liability
- Public Union for Civil Liberties v. Union of India (1997) 1 SCC 301.
A land mark judgment wherein the Supreme court laid down detailed procedural guidelines for telephone tapping which led to formation of new rules under Telegraph Act.